Now that the new school year has gotten well under way, as a teacher you may be on the lookout for some great school field trip destinations. Across the GTA and Southern Ontario, there is definitely no shortage of cool places to visit for a school trip. The challenge is where to go that’s educational yet fun – and perhaps “different” than the same-old destinations.
Fret not! We’ve compiled this list of awesome field trip destinations across Southern Ontario. Some you’ll find familiar, and some totally unique. Some are popular, some should be popular because they’re, well, great! Now all you have to do is book the bus and get the kids on board!
Top Southern Ontario Field Trip Destinations
- Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum – Explore nearly 50 aircraft and displays showcasing Canada’s aviation history all the way back to World War II.
- St Jacobs Mennonite story – Learn about the history and culture of Mennonites in Canada and the rest of the world.
- Hamilton Museum of Steam Technology – Tour this historic landmark to experience parts of Canada’s early industrial revolution and see steam powered water pumping engines in action.
- Peterborough Lift Lock – Designed to lift a boat nearly 20 meters on the Trent-Severn Waterway, this historic lift lock and visitors center is an interesting place to spend an afternoon.
- Scenic Caves Nature Adventures – Hike through caves and caverns, walk across suspension bridges and take an eco adventure tour to enjoy the beauty of fall.
- Gardiner Museum – Celebrate the art of clay with an immersive session in the museum and a hands-on clay-making component.
- Black Creek Pioneer Village – Step back in time at this interactive village set in mid-1800’s Toronto. Students will experience the lifestyles and customs of the people living in Toronto nearly 100 years ago.
- Brock University Youth University – Offer kids of all ages an inside look at a post secondary institution while building problem solving, creative thinking and inter-personal skills with their classmates.
- Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory – Students will be surrounded with thousands of butterflies in a natural habitat and have the ability to learn more about them and their importance in the world.
- Casa Loma – Tour the medieval castle on a hill overlooking Toronto, built in 1911 by 300 men at a cost of $3.5 million. Explore secret passageways, underground tunnels, tall towers and more!
- Hamilton Conservation Authority Adventures in Education programs – Partner with HCA to provide an outdoor adventure that offers hands on environmental experiences while meeting Ministry of Education expectations.
- Canadian Canoe Museum – Explore a variety of Ontario curriculum topics with hands-on programming centered of the canoe and its cultures and history.
- Visit an art gallery – Both the Art Gallery of Hamilton and the Art Gallery of Ontario have top notch programs for school field trips.
- Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens – Explore the nearly 100 acres of gardens, including a rose garden with more than 2400 roses. From hiking trails to a horticultural program, this park is an excellent choice for a school bus trip, no matter what age the kids are.
Trip Tips for Teachers:
- Check websites for business hours, costs and whether they provide a specific field trip program
- Always contact the destination in advance and include them in your planning process
- Ensure you have enough parent volunteers based on how many kids you are bringing, and check with the business to see how many chaperones they allow with the reservation
- Get a quote online for transportation that will be suitable for your group size
Planning a field trip doesn’t have to be complicated!
At Switzer-Carty Transportation, we take the work out of planning a school trip. You name it, we’ve been there! Simply fill out a trip quote request form and let us get you there safely, on-time and on-budget!
Thanks to the internet and the overall ease of getting price and itinerary quotes online, planning a field trip for your class is easier than ever. There are so many options to choose from! Use our tips to choose the perfect destination, book your transportation, then get the kids excited!